The Saint-Petersburg State Technological Institute (Technical University) was founded on November 28, 1828. D.I. Mendeleev, F. Beilstein and other well-known scientists worked
here. Many scientific schools, known all over the world, were developed in Technological Institute. Today, the SPSTI presents new cutting-edge materials for modern branches of science and technologie
s in the following fields: Fuel Industry, Materials Science, Functional Materials, Information Technology, Medicine, Healthcare, Environment, Optoelectronic and Nanomaterials. The main building of SPSTI is situated in historical center of the city.
Being one of the oldest and leading Russian technology universities, the SPSTI has a long history of international cooperation. From the very first years of existence, the institute invited outstanding foreign scientist. Many of them continued their research work within the institute and founded large scientific schools, made great discoveries. The institute maintains partnership with colleagues from Germany, France, Finland, Algeria, China, Japan etc. Extensive work within the terms of over 30 agreements on cooperation with foreign institutes and companies is being conducted.
There are the following directions of international cooperation:
- Students exchange on various educational programs;
- Double diploma;
- Professor exchange for lecturing;
- Realization of joint researches and scientific investigations;
- Establishment of commercial contracts with foreign companies on scientific research projects;
- Holding of international conferences, seminars and academic competitions;
- Participation in international scientific practical conferences and seminars, educational programs and projects, academic competitions and symposiums;
- Realization of collective publications, scientific, educational and methodological works.
Annually, outstanding scientists from various countries become honorable doctors of Saint-Petersburg State Institute of Technology.
SPISTI provides students a wide range of facilities. SPSTI’s foundation library opened its doors on October 11, 1831. At present the library contains over 1 million books, including rare editions. There are 4 reading room for scientific work, where over 330 people can work simultaneously.
Internet room provides free access to the global information network, allowing users refer to electronic libraries and databases. There are 6 comfortable dormitories for students. The museum represents main documentary steps in the institute’s history in chronological order from craftsmen school till Institute of Technology, illustrated with authentic historical documents, photographs, medals, rare scientific publications, instruments, ancient pieces of furniture, which reproduce on exclusive aura of the 19-th century.
Over 80 percent of students are the members of largest student’s organization – Student’s Trade Union. This is the main local student’s autonomous body in the institute that aims managing social issues and bringing students together. The Union organizes and holds sport events, conferences, meetings, excursions, festivals and concerts dedicated to various events of Saint-Petersburg and the Institute. Big attention is paid to the physical education of students, which promotes the unity among student, persistency and team spirit. There are various sport clubs: aerobics, basketball, tennis, football, hand wrestling, athletics, etc.
TODAY IN THE INSTITUTE THERE ARE:
2 academicians and corresponding members of Russian and International Academies of Sciences
75 professors and Dr. Sc
Over 8000 students
51 specialized departments